Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Laukiwali Chana ki dal

This is the recipe that I learnt from my friend Preeti. I had never tasted this before. In Odisha I just had tasted Chana dal with potato, and frankly speaking I am not quiet fond of it. Yes, Lauki in Chana dal tastes better and considering health this is definitely better, especially for diabetic. As such Lauki has many medicinal properties. It is a good source of carbohydrates, Vitamin A, C and minerals. Lauki helps in maintaining blood pressure and cholestrol; helps controlling diabetes, reduces fats; also useful in weight loss. It is a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. It enhances growth of WBC and increases immunity. 

Moreover, Lauki(Lau in Odia)has only a handful of good dishes to name. I like the way my Mom prepares Lauki Kofta curry and Lauki aloo rai. My husband also likes the Kofta curry. Next time, I will prepare the Kofta curry and post you the recipe. I am also yet to experiment on Rajasthani style Bharwa Lauki. So, many dishes for me to prepare and blog. Here, goes the recipe for you.

Ingredients
•Bottle gourd (lauki/doodhi),cut into small pieces
•Split Bengal gram (chana dal) 1/2 cup
•Salt to taste
•Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
•Oil 1 tablespoon
•Cumin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
•Green chillies,chopped 2
•Asafoetida 1 pinch
•Red chilli powder 1/2 teaspoon
•Coriander powder 2 teaspoons
•Tomatoes,chopped 2 medium
•Garam masala powder 1/2 teaspoon
•Sugar 1/4 teaspoon(optional)
•Lemon juice 2 teaspoons
•Fresh coriander leaves,chopped 2 tablespoons



Method :-
Soak chana dal in one and half cups of water for an hour. Drain. Boil chana dal and lauki with salt, turmeric powder and one cup of water till done. Mash slightly with back of round spoon and mix well. Keep aside. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, green chillies and asafoetida and cook for a minute. Add red chilli powder, coriander power and cook till fragrant. Add tomatoes and cook till they soften. Add cooked chana dal and lauki and stir. Add garam masala powder, sugar and adjust salt. Simmer for two minutes. Add lemon juice and stir. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot. 





No comments:

Post a Comment