Tuesday, September 10, 2013

makhane ki Kheer

Hi Readers,

This time on the eve of Ganesha Chaturthi, I made this dessert. It was a fasting day for us as this time, Ganesha Chaturthy was on Monday. Thankfully, I had a holiday, but I could not make use of it like previous years, my Grandmom-in-law expired one month back and it is a mourning year for us. No big celebration, only Puja. One interesting incident happened yesterday. Since, we never used to get Ganesha Chaturthy holidays, I did not check my holiday calender. In fact on this 3 days long weekend I was quite occupied with official work. Still, I managed to make wonderful new experiments with various dishes. Yesterday morning my husband went to office and then he realized it was a holiday.

When he returned home, I thought let me check my calender and then make a move. Hurrey, it was a holiday for me too. Past two days was very hectic so I didn't wanted to go to office. I was so very happy. At that point, I just wanted to make something wonderful. We both went shopping for groceries so that I can make this new experiment. Well, this turned to be a tasty dish. Makhane(puffed lotus seeds) do not have any flavor of its own. However, this absorbs the taste of Ghee, milk, khoya to give a nice texture and taste.



Ingredients
•Puffed lotus seeds (makhanas) 1 cup


•Milk 1/2 litre
•Pure ghee 2 tablespoons
•Khoya/mawa 3 tablespoons
•Green cardamom powder 1/4 teaspoon
•Almonds,chopped 1 tablespoon
•Pistachios,chopped 1 tablespoon
•Kismis 1 tablespoon.


Method
Heat ghee in a non-stick pan. Pour the milk into a deep non-stick pan and let it come to a boil. Add the makhane to the first pan and sauté lightly.



 Take it off the heat. Add khoya and powdered sugar to the milk and let it boil on low heat.  Crush the makane , (I crushed half and left others as it is).Add the makhane and mix lightly. Add green cardamom powder, almonds and pistachios, kismis. Mix well and take it off the heat. Let it cool to room temperature and then keep in the refrigerator to chill. Serve chilled.

This is one of the dessert that is prepared during Navaratra's as this does not use any cereal or pulses in it. One good dessert for fasting.




No comments:

Post a Comment